November 20, 2012

Felted Sweater Trees and a FREE Mantel

I thought I'd try my own take on the sweater tree craze that is going around the web. I had some felted sweaters laying around that needed to be used before the moths had their Thanksgiving meal in them. These turned out better than expected and went together in about an hour. The cones cost $5 for 5 and the sweaters I already had as well as the glitter glue.

The design added such sweet texture to the trees

simple star designs were added

It is hard to see but I brushed glitter over the entire criss-cross design

and added just dots on the small tree


I left some plain because simple is beautiful


Here you get a glimpse of the beautiful lines of this mantel. My neighbor was putting this out for free! It was a little rough and it wasn't deep enough but free can be modified.

When we bought our house the owner's son had carpeted the entire first floor in a beautiful white Berber. However......after having to clean the foyer carpet every 3 months, I was not in love with it. They had also put faux wood grain linoleum over the real wood steps. HUH? When I started to peel it up to refinish the steps, I figured might as well pull up a corner of the carpet and see what was lurking there. Gorgeous hardwoods! I don't understand people. Of course when we pulled up the entire carpet it became apparent why he had to carpet. He must have used a sprayer to paint the wood work and walls and did not protect the floors. We had a company refinish the floors because my visions of doing them myself quickly evaporated once I had sanded the steps. My knees and arms wouldn't have made it. They did an amazing job.

There also was a wall here that covered the fireplace. I knew there had to be a fireplace here because we have one in every single room, except here. So when the carpet came up, the hearth was exposed and I was ecstatic. I knew there was a fireplace! However, the excitement was short lived when we tore down the wall. The mantle was missing. The owner's son had taken the original mantle. Boo.
It has been sitting mantel-less for about 6 years. Not from lack of searching, maybe lack of funds and time. So when this mantle became available, I jumped at it and decided to make it work. 

I am so glad I did. We made it deeper by taking the sides off and adding a 1x6 and then we added a 1x3 to the top . It still needs some finessing but it is good for the holidays. I am just glad to have it ready for Christmas decorating. 

It is so deep that I am going to have fun loading it up with greens and boughs of holly....

Fa, La, La, La, Lovely


Always being renewed,



Please see the link party page to see where I link arms with those blissfully beautiful bloggers that host every week. So gracious they are along with these other sweet ladies! Todays Creative Blog vif187 all crafts Homemade Projects ~ Add Yours! {5/1} Home Stories A2Z  
We Would Love For You To Join Us Each Wednesday... southern hospitality

My Repurposed Life My Uncommon Slice of Suburbialollipops

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

18 comments:

  1. Κim they're beautiful! I want them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your trees are beautiful. I may have to attempt to make these. I'm visiting from Claiming Our Space: Tout it Tuesday. I'm your 200th follower..........do I get a prize? Just kidding. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful, Kim. I really like what you've done inside the fireplace too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm speechless. Your mantle display is so gorgeous... So simple, so classy. Those sweater trees were such a great idea... and such wonderful execution. Good pictures too... :)

    hugs x
    Crystelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a terrific idea! Great pictures as well. I think I am headed to the attic closet to pull out a few old sweaters! Visiting from What's It Wednesday and am your newest follower! I would love for you to visit me at Still Woods Farmhouse. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look amazing!! I now know what I'm doing on Black Friday :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This would be great for repurposed ideas weekly blog hop.
    Www.repurposemylife.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your felted trees! I picked up some sweaters at goodwill to try this but it's on my very long to do list-the details on the mantel are really lovely -I'm featuring this on my Saturday favorites so stop by to visit-have a great weekend! Claire

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those trees are darling and I love the candlelight in your fireplace! And your free mantel - yay!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are so adorable. I have always wanted to try felting something... anything... I think this might be a good first project for me. Now for the questions...
    How do you do this? I know I need some old wool sweaters, hot water, and a clothes dryer, but after everything is all shrunk, what next?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. these are beautiful! they look so warm and cozy and I love the textures! Thank you for linking up to our Uncommonly Yours party! Featured these tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are beautiful! I'm going to have to make me one! I'm a new follower and enjoyed your blog.

    I currently have a blog party posted and would love for you to post this! :)

    http://sew-licious.blogspot.com/2012/11/show-licious-craft-showcase-9-blog-party.html

    Marti

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday, I featured this on my blog tonight! Come stop by and grab a featured button: http://www.mygirlishwhims.com/2012/11/your-whims-wednesday-87-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah! A use for the old sweaters I can't bring myself to throw away. One with a holiday scene made a particularly cute tree -- no embellishments needed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Featuring YOU today! Thanks for linking up to {wow me} wednesday.

    Ginger @ gingersnapcrafts.com

    http://www.gingersnapcrafts.com/2012/11/take-look-at-you-my-favorites_29.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is just gorgeous! Thanks for linking up.
    XO
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE YOUR TREES AND I WOULD LOVE TO FEATURE THEM, LET ME KNOW IF THAT WOULD BE OK,
    LAUREN

    ReplyDelete

Lay it on me! i love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...