June 30, 2012

Reclaimed Wood Top Table

I love when my willy-nilly planning actually pays off. By willy-nilly I mean I just start something and see where it goes.

The willy-nilliness started when I grabbed this from the trash men with like 2 minutes to go before they wrestled me for it. Sounds like something I would do but alas, this was just a dream. Somehow my dreams are really acting like real life!


I did see this on the way home from a swim meet and I went right back out after I dropped the kids to check it out. I almost didn't pick it because the wood top had joints that were separating. The thoughts of having to fill with wood compound and sanding and then maybe not liking the result was giving me the willys. Sadly the wood top did a trial separation but it finally ended in divorce.

I got rid of the top and figured I'll just replace it with something else. Marble maybe? Ponder...

The willy-nilliness kept going by just painting the base in an oil-based jet black I had sitting around.

Then I waited for it to speak to me.

Apparently it was still bitter about the divorce because it was NOT giving me any indication of how it wanted to be finished.

Inspiration struck as I was cannibalizing my pallets for extra slats.  Make these into a top for a nice farmhouse table look.  I introduced the two and they have been inseperable ever since. That is when the willy-nilliness stopped and true love took over.

Just look at the love birds.



 This is stamped into the back. Love these kind of details.


I didn't seal it with anything, just gave it a good sanding because wax and poly would have darkened the grey color and I love the weathered look.

I <3 it!

It's for sale in the shop if you are interested. Just email me!

Always being renewed,





Please see the link party page to see where I link arms with those blissfully beautiful bloggers that host every week. So gracious they are along with these other sweet ladies! Todays Creative Blog vif187 all crafts Homemade Projects ~ Add Yours! {5/1} Home Stories A2Z  
We Would Love For You To Join Us Each Wednesday...

My Repurposed Life



20 comments:

  1. I love it! were the pallets this lovely faded colour? its a great combination.CJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh,Kim! This totally appeals to me on so many levels! I love that you rescued it and gave it a new life. I love that you juxtaposed two totally contrasting materials in an unexpected way - I love rustic and refined together! I'll bet it won't last long...
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous! I found you on "French Country Cottage's" Linky party... Would love for you to share it with my readers at my linky party - http://stringtownhome.blogspot.com. Hope you have a great week!

    Your newest follower,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are super talented! Great job. I am now following you on your blog. I would love it if you followed me!

    Amy
    www.garbagetoglam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this makeover! What a difference!

    Found you over at The 36th Avenue.

    I'd love for you to link up to my party:

    http://lovingthiscrazylife-melissa.blogspot.com/2012/07/its-piece-o-cake-linky-party-14.html

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a smart, simple project! Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving this - what a great idea - will be following you now for sure
    ( would love you to visit and follow back when you can )
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! Featuring you tomorrow! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it!!! What a Great Rustic Top!! Great idea. Thank you so much for linking this up to Rustic Restorations Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the rustic top you added! it's a nice contrast! Great rescue!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kim, this project is awesome, I like very much the contrast with the clear wood color, it matches perfect and make it look rustic but elegant. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice job, you should consider putting marriage counselor on your resume. I love to see items repurposed and given a new life. P.S. I found you from Feathered Nest Friday...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love how it your table turned out. The rough top is the perfect foil for the shiny black bottom. Thanks so much for sharing on Tout It Tuesday! Hope to see you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for sharing @ catch as catch can! I haven't checked out all the links yet, so I actually found you via your feature over at Sharon's place. :)
    This is a great marriage, and I think it's perfect inspiration for a topless table I have. hmmmm yep, think I have a plan now!
    thank you!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE this! Featured it tonight! Stop on by and snag up a button!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how this turned out!!! It is a perfect match!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Featuring YOU today. :) Thanks for sharing at {wow me} wednesday!

    Ginger @ gingersnapcrafts.com

    http://www.gingersnapcrafts.com/2012/07/take-look-at-you-my-favorites_12.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. FANTASTIC make over! love the up cycle with beautiful black - so fitting with the curves of the wood - nice touch to add the pallet top! New follower.
    JoAnn
    sweetpepperrose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Following you from hometalk...I love this!!! What a fantastic way to salvage this little table. Now it has way more character than it had before!
    XO,
    Christy
    Confessionsofaserialdiyer.com

    ReplyDelete

Lay it on me! i love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...