April 23, 2012

Wurlitzer table

Do you know the name "Wurlitzer"? Yes, they made organs and juke boxes.  Who knew they also made office furniture! I had this little table laying around my house for about 20 years. I acquired it during the first few months after I moved from Philly to Pittsburgh. Yes off of the trash in my alley!

It has been used in various capacities around the house but I finally decided it needed a little pep talk and a facial so I got to sanding it and refinishing it. In the process, I noticed the Wurlitzer name on the inside of the drawer and the name kept nagging my brain. SO I finally did some research and this is what I found out.

Just like everyone else during the depression, Wurlitzer was suffering some pretty heavy loses financially. In in a bid to stay solvent, it started making a line of office furniture. It didn't really take off and the company was eventually sold to Tab, not sure if that is the soda company or not. It was eventually sold to the Gibson Guitar Company in 1986.

So my little table is a little bit of depression history!

Here she is before:

She had a broken leg that had to be set first and once the cast was off we could send her to the plastic surgeon.

The veneer on the top had to be removed because it was in bad shape as well.

Here she is after. She got a nice oil-rubbed bronze facial and then a straw flower yellow finish on her legs finally,  a full body wax.










I don't think she is depressed any longer! What do you think?

You can also go see her in the shop!


Always being renewed,

5 comments:

  1. It looks amazing! I am your newest follower from the Networking Blog Hop! I would love if you would check out my blog and if you like what you see please follow back :)
    Modern Modest Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim it looks fabulous! Another great project from you! I wonder... do you ever get some sleep at all? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh its just lovely! What a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This really turned out great! Love the colors, and the distressing looks incredibly authentic. It looks like it's gotten this way from natural wear and tear over many years. I find that's really hard to pull off.

    ReplyDelete

Lay it on me! i love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...